Antonio "Tony" Raimundo Montana is the main protagonist of the 1983 film Scarface and the 2006 video game Scarface - The World Is Yours. He is portrayed by Al Pacino in the movie, and is voiced by André Sogliuzzo in the game. Tony Montana has become a cultural icon and is one of the most famous movie characters of all time, embodying the rise from the bottom to the top. He is also based on the main character of the 1932 movie of the same name.
Antonio "Tony" Montana was born in Cuba on May 5, 1947, to a Cuban mother and an American father. The marriage produced two children, Antonio and Gina, his little sister. Tony recalled having a pretty good relationship with his father, who taught him English and took him to American films where he saw such big stars as Humphrey Bogart. While Tony's father had a good relation with his kids, he did not have an ideal relationship as a husband and head of the household. One day Tony's father abandoned his family, so Mrs. Montana raises Tony and Gina alone. However, Tony proves somewhat a copycat of his father, abandoning them 5 years prior to the events of Scarface. It was later explained that one reason for the estragment was that Tony had admired the Cuban gangsters, who often partnered with the American Mafia. As the Mafia built big casinos in Havana, making it the "Latin Las Vegas" and their attire and lifestyles were flashy, Tony wished to become like them. His mother strived to steer him away from that, a big cause in their rifts.
In Scarface: The Beginning, Tony and Manny work for Raul Vasquez, a member of the Rodriguez/Vasquez/Lopez family, which also happens to be a Cartel. Tony and Manny work as drug mules, often dealing with long, hard work for little pay because Tony's boss, Raul Vasquez is a very cheap man, which Tony greatly dislikes. Because of Vasquez's frugal nature and lack of ambition, Tony decides that he will never be like him, and dreams of greater things in life. Tony keeps a picture of Gina in his wallet, and thinks of her often.
He is satisfied and buys her the Rum and Coke, which she claims is 500$. Knowing that it isn't, Tony still overpays for the drink because he wants to impress Rosaliah, to which she calls him crazy. The two spend a night together and learn a lot about each other, Tony finding out that Rosaliah did not want this job, but is rather an aspiring singer. After completing a job for Lopez, Julio lets Tony have one "Wish". Tony asks Lopez to free Rosaliah from her job, and let her perform as a legitimate singer. Lopez complies, Tony and Rosaliah spend another night together happily upon hearing this news.
Unfortunately, After Tony's ambition gets the better of him and makes a bold, threatening suggestion to The head of the cartel- Ortega, he has one of his men beat Rosaliah senseless, which causes her to die. Tony swears to "Never fuck with Pain" again.
A Fresh New StartEdit
In May 1980, president Fidel Castro relaxes the stringent laws governing Mariel Harbor in Cuba, allowing Cubans, former convicts, and criminals to immigrate to Miami, Florida. Tony is one of the 125,000 Cubans on the Mariel Boatlift to Miami, one out of five whom has a criminal record. When he gets to Miami he is questioned by U.S. officials; he lies about his whole life, telling them that his entire family is dead or stayed behind in Cuba and that he was a "political prisoner". However, because of a tattoo on his right hand, which indicates that he was an assassin, he is not granted a green card.
Tony and his friend Manolo "Manny" Ribera are sent to "Freedomtown," a refugee camp that held Cuban immigrants without green cards. After one month in the camp, Frank Lopez, head of a Miami drug cartel, offers to obtain them green cards in return for murdering Emilio Rebenga. Soon after Rebenga arrives at the camp, Manny and his accomplices cause a riot, where Tony stabs Rebenga in the confusion.
Tony and Manny are given green cards and released, and the two get jobs as short-order cooks and dishwashers for a small food stand in Little Havana, Miami. In August 1980, after another month of working they are approached by Omar Suarez, Frank Lopez's right-hand man who contacted Manny for the Rebenga hit. He offers Tony and Manny $500 each to work for Lopez to help unload 500 kilograms of marijuana from a boat from Mexico. Tony is unsatisfied with this offer and demands at least $1,000, which angers Omar. Omar says that everyone has to work their way up in the Lopez cartel and marijuana shipments tend to be safer because that drug is of lesser concern to American authorities; as a result it pays less than the more dangerous shipments. Tony fails to hear that excuse and gets confrontational. Regardless, Omar offers Tony a cocaine deal with Colombians for him instead, for $5,000 each, which Tony accepts.
A few days later, Tony, Manny, and two associates — Angel and Chi Chi, Cubans who also spent time in Freedomtown — drive to a small hotel in Miami Beach, the Sun Ray, to meet with the Colombians for the deal. While Manny and Chi Chi wait in their car, Tony and Angel go to the upstairs hotel room to meet with the Colombians. The head dealer, Hector "The Toad," answers the door and welcomes Tony in. Tony enters and as Hector goes to close the door behind him, Tony asks him if he doesnt mind keeping the door open so Angel, whose standing outside of the room, can see that everything is ok, which Hector agrees to. Once inside, after raising his arms in the air and turning himself around, which Hector copies and smiles to, Tony notices a lady lying on two pillows on the bed watching tv who Hector introduces as Marta. Hector tries to make small conversation with Tony. Hector says he doesn't have the cocaine with him; Tony replies that if there are no drugs, then he has no buy money. Suddenly, the deal goes bad and Angel and Tony are handcuffed to a shower pole. Hector demands the money, implying that he intends to kill Tony instead of selling them the cocaine, but Tony refuses. Hector then kills Angel with a chainsaw. Manny — who was waiting outside — approaches the hotel, hears the commotion, and bursts through the door with a submachine gun. After a short gunfight in which Manny is shot in the arm, and Hector is killed by Tony along with Hector's associates, Tony, Manny, and Chi Chi escape with the cocaine and the money. Instead of allowing Omar to take the cocaine to Frank, however, Tony takes it to Frank personally. Frank and Tony take a liking to each other, but Tony later confides to Manny that Frank may be too "soft" to be a major player for long. Tony and Manny end up working under Frank in the drug dealing business. Meanwhile, Tony takes an interest in Frank's girlfriend, Elvira Hancock. Frank takes Tony, Manny, and his associates out to the Babylon Nightclub, a high-class venue that Frank frequents. Although Tony flirts with Elvira, she doesn't show any interest in him.
Three months later, Tony pays a visit to his mother, Georgina, and younger sister, Gina, neither of whom he has seen for five years. Gina is excited to see Tony, but his mother is ashamed of him, having long ago learned of his life of crime. When he gives his mother $1,000 while claiming he is a community organizer and involved in running an "Anti-Castro" pamphlet group, his mother angrily rejects the gift and throws him out. Tony leaves, but Gina runs after him; he slips her the $1,000 secretly, and tells her to give a little to their mother from time to time.
Later, while in Bolivia, Tony and Omar are organizing smuggling to the United States with a major drug cartel lord Alejandro Sosa on behalf of Frank, who couldn't travel due to a pending criminal trial. Tony begins independently making major decisions about the distribution of the drugs through Panama, angering Omar, who believes only Frank has authority to make such decisions. Omar and Tony begin arguing over the matter, while Sosa offers Omar a quick helicopter ride back home to talk over the transaction with Frank. Sosa then orders his enforcer, the Skull, to hang and assassinate Omar, and explains to Tony that he was a police informant. However, Sosa believes that Tony is trustworthy and makes him one of his business partners, sternly warning Tony never to "fuck him" (betray him in any way). After returning to Florida, Tony is berated by Frank, who is angry about what happened to Omar, as well as Tony's new setup with Sosa. Frank warns Tony that Sosa is a traitor and cannot be trusted. Tony and Frank subsequently terminate their business relationship, while Tony begins making bolder passes at Elvira, one of them right in front of Frank.
At the Babylon Nightclub, Tony is shaken down by a corrupt Miami narcotics detective, Mel Bernstein, who informs him he has evidence linking Tony to the murders of Rebenga and the Colombian drug dealers. Bernstein then proposes to "tax" Tony on his transactions in return for police protection and information. Bernstein immediately negotiates himself a large bribe and two first-class airline tickets to London. Tony is convinced Frank sent Bernstein because only Frank would know details about the murders. While talking to Bernstein, Tony is distracted by the sight of his sister Gina dancing with a low-level drug dealer. Tony sees him take her into the men's restroom to make out with her in the stall, prompting him to beat the man and berate Gina. When Gina tells Tony that she is old enough to do whatever she wants, Tony slaps her.
While at the Babylon, Tony is almost assassinated when two men attempt to kill him with submachine guns. He escapes, wounded but alive, and is convinced that Frank is responsible for the attempted murder. Tony instructs two of his men to call Frank at exactly 3 a.m. at his office with the words: "We fucked up. He got away." Tony and Manny track Frank down to his car dealership, and find Frank in the middle of a meeting with Bernstein. Using the phone call, Tony tricks Frank into confirming he was behind the attempted hit. Admitting what he did, Frank then begs for mercy at Tony's feet, even offering $10,000,000 he keeps in a safe. Tony orders Manny to shoot Frank, and Tony proceeds to kill Bernstein. Afterward, Tony goes to Frank's house, telling Elvira that Frank is dead and that he wants her. Tony looks at the sky and sees a blimp with the words "The World Is Yours" on the side.
Over the next year, Tony makes $75 million off of 2,000 kilos of cocaine that he brings to America, and is soon making $15 million every month in profits from his business relationship with Sosa. He marries Elvira and takes over Frank's empire, creating a large number of lucrative business fronts and purchasing a huge mansion, complete with luxury items, such as a tiger, as well as multiple surveillance camera monitors. He makes Manny his second-in-command and in charge of security at his warehouses and mansion. However, cracks in Tony's "American dream" begin to form as both he and Elvira become heavily addicted to cocaine. As a result, Tony becomes more paranoid and violent, and Elvira becomes bored and distant. Tony becomes greedy and selfish with his wealth, while the bank that launders his drug money wants increasingly higher fees. Manny and Gina begin dating behind Tony's back, afraid of Tony's wrath should he find out.
In February 1983, Tony is arrested for tax evasion and money laundering $1,300,000 by Seidelbaum, a local money launderer who turns out to be an undercover cop. Tony posts a $5 million bail and is out of jail while awaiting trial. Tony's lawyer, Sheffield, tells him that although he can plea bargain away most of the time Tony faces, he will still end up serving at least three years in prison for evading income taxes.
Sosa, not wanting to lose his main distributor, calls Tony down to Bolivia and asks him for help assassinating a Bolivian anti-government activist, who is exposing Sosa's dealings with Bolivian leaders on television. In exchange, Sosa will use his contacts in the US Justice Department in Washington, D.C, to keep Tony out of prison. Tony is clearly reluctant to assassinate a civilian, but seeing no other options, agrees to the deal. After returning to Miami, Manny tries to talk Tony out of going to New York, even though Tony doesn't tell him about the hit, because he has a bad feeling about it.
Not long after, Elvira leaves Tony for good after he insults her heavily in a local Miami restaurant. Minutes later, an intoxicated Tony starts yelling at the patrons for looking at him in disgust. He tells them that they need people like him — a "bad guy".
Tony and Alberto, Sosa's most senior associate, travel to New York to murder the activist. Alberto plants a bomb under the activist's car, planning to detonate it as he drives to the United Nations Building to give a speech about his activist work. On the day the assassination is to take place, Tony orders Alberto not to set off the bomb because the activist's wife and children are in the car as well. When Alberto tries to detonate the bomb anyway, Tony shoots him in the head, thus double-crossing Sosa in the process.
Downfall & DeathEdit
Tony returns to Florida to find his mother accusing him of corrupting Gina, and a furious Sosa threatening to kill him for not going through with the plan. During a heated telephone conversation, Tony and Sosa's relationship effectively breaks down. Tony attempts to locate Manny, and finds him and Gina together. Realizing Manny has slept with his sister, Tony shoots and kills him in a cocaine-fueled rage, before Gina reveals that they had just married. Tony and his men take a distraught Gina back to his mansion. Meanwhile, a large group of gun-toting assassins sent by Sosa surround the mansion. While Tony sits in his office, distraught at his actions and snorting vast quantities of cocaine, the gunmen begin quietly killing Tony's guards outside.
A grief-stricken Gina enters Tony's office wielding a gun, accusing him of wanting her for himself, before shooting him in the leg. Tony attempts to calm her down, before one of the assassins enters the office through the window and opens fire, accidentally killing Gina. Tony immediately throws the man out of the window, and shoots his body multiple times, creating a large commotion.
Robbed of the element of surprise, Sosa's gunmen launch an all-out assault on Tony's mansion. As Tony cradles Gina's body in his arms, Sosa's men fight their way through the mansion with ease. Tony bursts from his office wielding an M16 assault rifle with an M203 grenade launcher attachment, yells "Say hello to my little friend!" and begins shooting wildly at the henchmen, killing dozens of them despite being heavily wounded himself by return fire. The carnage continues until the Skull, who had quietly broken into the back of the mansion, shoots Tony in the back with a double-barreled shotgun, killing him. Tony falls from his balcony into a small pool in the lobby below, floating face-down in the water beneath a statue of the globe carrying the inscription "The World Is Yours" in red neon as the water fills with Tony's blood.
Scarface: The World Is YoursEdit
The video game titled Scarface: The World Is Yours, a quasi-sequel to the film, features an alternate ending in which Tony survives the assassination attempt but still loses most of his possessions. it starts just after Tony started swearing against his enemies, Tony sees the Skull approaching him and shoots him before going out, making his way to his car,gunning down every assassin he finds in his way, he barely manages to escape the capture of his own mansion. One gunman has cornered Tony, but Tony is saved by his pet tiger, who breaks free and mauls the gunmen, allowing Tony to flee to safety. The assassins misconstrue the situation as proof positive that Tony is dead, with one man calling Sosa to the phone saying that Tony Montana will never come back again and that his empire his destroyed. The end of the first mission show that he lost $65,884,703 and 2,500 kilograms of drugs.
For the next three months in 1983 he went into hiding in a small shack near Virginia Key Beach Park in Miami where he only had basic necessities, his trademark Cadillac Series 62 and $1,000. His mansion was seized by "Vice" (undercover vice squad police officers who resemble the co-stars of the 1980s television show Miami Vice), he goes to see Sheffield and asks to be his lawyer again,which he agrees to,but to an higher cost due of the danger of being associated with Tony Montana, Tony warns Sheffield to not cross him beetween him and Sosa,but he guarantees that he preferes to get run over a truck than trying to get in his way. After one day of selling drugs, Tony manages to clear a profit of $10,000, to which he promptly spends on a bribe to vice so he can get his mansion back.
After he goes back to his mansion, Tony discovers that Gaspar Gomez has hidden a truck contaning $50.000 ,and he decides to go to the Hotel and find Gomez,after killing all the security,he finds out that Gomez is not there and finds instead Ricardo,his head of security,Tony taunts him and beats him in a brawl before throwing him off the hotel cliff,and goes to the hotel garage and steals the truck with the money,taking it to the downtown bank where he finds Jerry, his former banker, now corporate manager,and asks him to become his banker again, he agrees with reluctance,but he has faith in Tony.
Montana first reclaims Little Havana in 1984, which had been taken over by the Diaz brothers, but during an hangover in the Babylon Club,he's attacked by assassins sent by the Diaz Brothers, that murdered his mother,enraged Tony goes to Diaz Motors(formerly Lopez Motors)armed with a chainsaw and dismembers edgar diaz,his brother fernado escapes with a car, but Tony pursuits him and blows up his car, killing him.
Then Tony moves to conquer Downtown, but he gets called by Pablo,one of Sheffield's associates, telling him that he has news about his ex-wife Elvira, they bring tony to freedomtown,apparently the ideal place to speak undisturbed, but it's revealed that it's a trap. Tony, angry, he hunts and kills Pablo, and adds Sheffield to his Hitlist.
Tony then conquers Downtown in 1985 with his supplies growing but still limited, he gets called by the Sandman, a powerful coke lord that wants Sosa dead,and offers him the support of his islands outside Miami to supply Tony's Activities and Tony visits Venus' bar, the Sandman's ex-girlfriend, that points the way to Nacho Contreras, the powerful drug lord that lives in a casino boat,then he gets to Nacho's Boat, he pursuits him, killing all of his men.and made Nacho be eaten by a shark.
Tony gets back to Miami, and sets his eyes to Miami Beach South, which is part of Gaspar Gomez's Turf, that along with Miami Beach North, Tony proceeds to conquer the Southern and Northern Beach, in this way he now controls Miami again, but he needs more supplies.
the Sandman calls Tony, saying that he's ready to make war with the Colombians, but his plants are under attack so Tony repels them, and talking to the Sandman again, he says that the colombians have captured an island, the production facility and the workers inside, Tony rescues them all and kicks off the colombians from the island, then the sandman gives Tony the control of the islands and its operations, giving him the supply lines he needed, now the Montana Cartel rises, even more powerful and wealthy than before,Tony now is capable of attack Sosa directly.
Meanwhile, Sosa,Gomez, and Sheffield are discussing the problem about Tony Montana, that has became more dangerous than he appeared, Gomez stating that he had no problems with Tony Montana before Sosa sent his assassins to his mansion, and he's there only to get a deal out of that, while Sheffield proposes to send Bolivian Tanks directly to kill Tony, which Sosa contests saying if Washington would approve of bolivian tanks in the streets of Miami, which Shieffeld replies that he has them all in his backpocket and that a sufficiently high bribe can make them look the other way for a day,suddenly, an explosion follows,indicating that Tony has arrived, fighting all of Sosa's Men, Tony confronts Shieffeld,who begs for his life, but calls Tony crazy and to be on drugs,who gets Tony even more angry, Tony then snaps his neck or shoots him in the head, then Tony finds Gaspar,and after a bloody gunfight Tony kills him, Tony then proceeds to go in Sosa's living room where Sosa is waiting for him, and they have a brief discussion on what caused their friendship to break,with Tony saying that Sosa is going to pay for everything he has done, he then laughs and responds that he gave him the warning to not fuck him,Tony then replies of the presence of children on the car of the journalist that Sosa wanted dead, and that he's not a butcher, Sosa tells him to clarify this with tony before he kills that if had 500 kgs of drugs moving every month, it's imperative that he kills children,so he says heroes go in the hole where they belong. Tony says that it's time for Sosa to do that crawl, then a gunfight begins,end ing with Sosa's death, and Tony, mad, keeps shooting at him, saying 'Have a nice trip Sosa, you stupid fuck', then one of Sosa's Men begs Tony for his life, and Tony offers him a job as a butler in his mansion, Venus gets the place of his lady, and tells her that he feels that he finally had the world he wanted in his hands like he imagined.
An all new TonyEdit
After the assasination attempt, a new reincarnated Tony Montana has a new sober attitude swearing to never do coke again and has a better positive less aggressive attitude. Tony also has a better attitude to his henchmen and security complementing them on their efforts although he makes unnecessary outbursts calling them "stupid fucks" on the phone as in the movie, his bodyguards will risk their last breath to ensure that Tony is still living and ultimately helping his empire grow. Tony also has done several good deeds like rescuing a man's daugther from a horde of Columbians which to most would be a suicide mission. Tony despises evil acts like the raping of women and slavery, he also hates Fidel Castro (to the point hoping that he will trip on his beard and break his neck) and Comunism and although an immigrant acts as if he is a true American at times.he also has a furious hatred for Colombians since his friend Angel was killed brutally by them. Although Tony has a sober and mellow attitude he still has a huge and insane bloodlust when he is very enraged and crossed. Tony has been told that he doesn't die by many people and he has cheated death many times,he then remembers Gina and Manny with sorrow,wishing them to be there with him,saying that he "has fucked up".
In popular cultureEdit
Since the release of Scarface in 1983, the Tony Montana character has been widely referenced and parodied in popular culture. In the world of hip hop, particularly gangsta rap, Montana is widely seen as a role model for his "outsider" status, rise from poverty to wealth and power and sociopathic appetite for violence.
Many Latin rappers dress like characters from the film, though they only opt to emulate the "street clothes" Montana's crew wears in the beginning of the movie, neglecting the flashy suits which he wears for the majority of the film.
Each DVD release inspired the largely Hispanic population in Hudson County, New Jersey to "camp out" in front of retail stores such as Best Buy in Secaucus, as well as Circuit City in Union City. Both stores indicated record high sales on the release dates.
In Carlito's Way, also starring Al Pacino, the nightclub Carlito owms is called "El Paraiso", which is the name of the restaurant Tony and Manny work in at the beginnnng of Scarface. The movie is also directed by Brian De Palma, and also features Angel Salazar (Chi chi) and Al Israel (Hector the Toad).
The animated series, The Boondocks pays homage to Tony Montana in it's season 1 intro. In the Intro, Riley Freeman is modeled after Tony Montana's classic picture to Scarface. Also, in the first episode of the series, Riley is shown wearing a similar suit to that of Tony Montana's in the movie. The animated series South Park paid homage to Tony Montana with Cartman resembling the fictional drug lord and KFC founder Colonel Sanders as antagonist Alejandro Sosa.
In the popular animated series, The Batman, the revised design of the classic Batman villain " The Ventriloquist"'s evil puppet Scarface has him dressed in Tony Montanna's trademark white suit, rather than clothes making him look like Al Capone that he wore in the comics that the show is based on.
Lines from the film are also frequently sampled in hip-hop songs. The Houston-based Geto Boys were one of the earliest rap groups to sample the lines and dialogue. During Public Enemy's "Welcome to the Terrordome," Flavor Flav recites several lines from the film. Music from the movie has also been sampled in the instrumentals for hip-hop songs such as Mobb Deep's "G.O.D. Pt. III" and "It's Mine". Nas' "The World is Yours" takes its title from the motto Montana lived by. One hip-hop artist, Brad Jordan (later a member of the Geto Boys) has even gone so far as to name himself Scarface after the film, and another goes by the name Tony Montana. Jay-Z's 1996 debut album, Reasonable Doubt, also samples Omar's lines to Montana regarding the deal with the Colombian's on the intro to the song Can't Knock The Hustle.
Various Latin rap artists such as Immortal Technique, Fat Joe, Big Pun, Cuban Link and The Beatnuts have sampled lines from the movie.
in the game,Tony at each Reputation gets called by Sosa,at first telling how he will fail since Sosa made him what he was before,the more reputation tony achieves,Sosa becomes more angry,at the end declaring how he should have died a long time before,calling him 'a persistant little monkey'
- Beretta Cheetah One of Tony's signature weapons, he uses it most times in the movie, as he used it to kill Hector, to escape Frank's henchmen and to kill Mel Bernstein.
- Beretta M1951 A pistol taken from one of Hector's men and used by Tony to kill Hector in the movie.
- S&W Model 36: A revolver carried by Tony in his shoulder holster during the movie.
- Colt AR-15 Tony's weapon of choice against the men who swarmed his mansion and the one he used with his famous line, "Say Hello to my Little Friend!". Tony has the weapon equipped with an M203 Grenade Launcher that he uses to blow the door's of his office open. Also he has a "jungle-taped" 30-round magazine set up as well. The weapon fires a 5.56x45mm NATO and is a selective fire weapon. The weapon is also used in the game as well, called the "Carbine Assault Rifle". It uses 50 rounds per magazine, and the Grenade Launcher attachment can be unlocked later after the weapon is unlocked. Tony can also pick up this weapon from a dead DEA member.
- Colt M1911 In Scarface: The World Is Yours, Tony first obtains this weapon after the mansion shootout. The M1911 is called the ".45 Automatic", uses .45 Caliber rounds and holds 12 rounds.
- .38 Automatic Another pistol that Tony can obtain in Scarface: The World Is Yours.
- AK-47: The AK-47 is the first assault rifle that Tony picks up in Miami, while he's in Freedom Town. The weapon fires a 7.62x39mm in a 40-80 round magazine, while in real life, the AK-47 uses a 30 round magazine.
- Desert Eagle: A powerful pistol, capable of killing with one shot,its unlocked nearly the end of the game,it has a 7 round magazine,its fire rate is very slow.
- Bazooka: A heavy anti-armor weapon,this weapon can destroy cars very easily and shoots one rocket at time
- Missile Launcher: A heavy rocket launcher,capable of destroying cars with one shot,it has a 2 round magazine
- Sniper Rifle: A heavy sniper rifle,it has a 6 round magazine and has nearly one hit kills if aimed in the right spots
- MAC-10: A automatic and more powerful version of the Micro-Uzi,it has a 50 round magazine,it can be upgraded with a larger magazine and a silencer to reduce event attraction
- M-79: A grenade launcher,it's carried by high ranking gang members,and can kill Tony with one hit,
- M249: A heavy portable machine gun,with a 100 round magazine, it's the last weapon unlocked in the game,it's very powerful and can eliminate gangs and cops very quickly with 2 hits
- Uzi: A submachine gun taken from one of Sosa's men and briefly used by Tony during the final shootout of the movie.
- Micro Uzi: The Micro-Uzi is the first fully automatic weapon Tony gets in the beginning of the game and he uses it to kill anyone who comes in his way.The weapon fires a 9x19mm Parabellum in a 32 round magazine.
- Chainsaw: The chainsaw is the weapon Tony uses that involves close quarters and is a movie reference, mainly the weapon Hector the Toad used to kill Angel Fernandez.
- Machete: The machete is the other melee weapon that Tony uses, however he uses it in Freedom Town to kill anyone that's up close.
- Shotgun: The weapon that Tony uses in the game. The weapon is a 12 gauge shotgun with an 8 round magazine.
Characters killed by TonyEdit
Scarface (1983 film)Edit
- Emilio Rebenga - Stabbed with a knife and killed for torturing several prisoners to the death.
- Hector (The Toad) - Killed with a Beretta M1951 for slicing Angel with a Chainsaw and trying to do the same to Tony.
- Mel Bernstein - Killed with a Beretta Cheetah, so Tony would never have to worry with the police in his back.
- Alberto - Killed with the Beretta Cheetah for trying to kill an innocent family.
- Manny Ribera - Killed with the Beretta Cheetah for sleeping with Gina (before Tony knows that they got married).
Scarface - The World Is YoursEdit
- The Skull - Killed with an AR-15 for attempting to kill Tony.
- Ricardo - Thrown from a Skyscraper for trying to kill Tony.
- Octavio the Clown - Killed for trying to kill Tony.
- Edgar Diaz - Killed for being one of the two leaders of the Diaz Brothers as revenge for his mother's death.
- Affonso Diaz - Killed for being one of the two leaders of the Diaz Brothers as revenge for his mother's death.
- Pablo - Killed by a Cigarette Gun Boat for leaving Tony for death.
- Unnamed thief - Killed with stomps in order to retrieve the tapes from Fidel's Records.
- The Informer - Killed for trying to report The Dock Boss to DEA.
- Unnamed corrupt lawyer - Killed for trying to leave the Swansong Hotel to bankruptcy.
- Jimmy - Killed in order to gain respect from the Sun Ray Hotel Owner.
- Colosis - Killed in order to obtain an auto shop/garage for delivering drugs.
- Bent cop - Killed for trying to force Peninsula Lounge's owner to pay him in force for protection money.
- George Sheffield - Killed with either a Desert Eagle, an AK-47 or Tony's bare hands for everything he did to Tony in Miami.
- Gaspar Gomez - Killed with an AK-47 for trying to take over Tony's business.
- Alejandro Sosa - Killed with an AK-47 for destroying Tony's Mansion and trying to kill him since Alberto was killed and for causing Gina's death.
Personality and traitsEdit
A smooth and slick individual, Tony was always impeccably dressed, even when going on jobs. Despite this, he was a brutal fighter and a master planner who managed to keep his attacks on the other Cartels concealed by using strongarm tactics with his guns. When he is cornered, he does not go down without a fight, and stoically challenges the assassin or hitman to finish the job, but mostly gets the upper-hand and escapes death. He was extremely possessive and territorial of his sister, the only woman who he truly loved, though sometimes his love for her was destructive. It could be seen as an unhealthy obsession. He broke down when Gina died, seeming as if he didn't accept it.
Unlike Sosa, Tony outright refuses to kill any innocent people. This trait becomes his undoing in the film as it marks Tony's declaration of war against Sosa's cartel after he kills Sosa's hitman when he reaches for the detonator. Additionally, Tony's a very amiable character when approaching children, as evident when he's in the pool with Manny when the latter tries to flirt a lady by the poolside with hilarious results.
Tony also has a repentant side as well, as shown in the video game when he grieves for Manny and Gina and regrets his blunders that led to their deaths. He also shows compassion and possesses a few moral boundaries, such as his refusal to kill innocent people. This is evident in the game when he refuses to open fire at any civilian in the vicinity (the game also has the mechanic where Tony rebukes at the player should he/she force Tony to try to fire). This is a huge contrast to Sosa's ruthlessness when he justifies the deaths of the kids at the end of the game when Tony confronted Sosa about the botched assassination attempt in the game's climax.
- In 2008, Montana was named the 27th greatest movie character by Empire Magazine.
- Oliver Stone came up with the name by combining the last name of his then-favorite football player (Joe Montana) and the first name from the main character of the 1932 film Scarface: The Shame Of A Nation, played by Paul Muni.
- In the game, there is a reference to Paul Muni, sometimes during a conversation a man may say that Tony resembles an actor to which he will reply with "Who? Paul Muni? I don't look like him!".
- Since the release of the film, Tony's quote: "Say hello to my little friend" has become one of the most famous movie lines of all time, being used or parodied many times:
- Hitman: Codename 47, the first game of the popular Hitman series, features a character named Pablo Belisario Ochoa. He is almost entirely based on Tony Montana, having similar appearance and even saying "Hello to my little friend" upon the first encounter with him. Pablo is a Colombian druglord who resides deep in the jungle, protected by his small army and is very strong.Even headshoots won't kill him.
- Carlos Mencia did a "sketch" on his show, Mind of Mencia where a man was inserted into a video game and, from there, entered other video games. The man was repeatedly shanked by a Carlos cameo, in the online games, for points, and was killed by Tony Montana via Tony challenging him to a coke-sniffing contest and shoving his head into a huge pile of it. He sniffed so much his head grew and eventually exploded. Tony said many lines from the movie.
- The Lonely Island did a music video entitled "Jack Sparrow" in which the ending features Michael Bolton as Tony Montana in the climatic shootout scene and snorting cocaine.
- Tee shirts from various manufactures have appeared in the US and other countries, citing "The Rules" according the Tony Montana.
- Tony's refusal to kill innocent civilians, carries over to the game, contrary to many other sandbox games of the type, such as Grand Theft Auto, which allow players to go on massive rampages/killing sprees. Tony will refuse to pull the trigger if he aims at civilians, berating the player that he is above killing innocents, also while driving, Tony cannot kill pedestrians, even if they are hit at top speed, they will get up without any sign of injury.
- The latter can lead to humourous examples of him insulting people he has ran over.
Rules of Tony Montana Edit
Tony has learned these rules from Frank while he was still following his orders,after Frank's death he has accepted them as his
- "Everyday above ground is a good day."
- "All you have in this world is your balls and your word. Don't break 'em for nobody."
- "Never get high on your own supply."
- "Always remember, this is business."
- "Always tell the truth, even when you lie."
- "Every dog has his day."
- "You're always going to be the Bad guy."
- "Never underestimate the other guy's greed."
- "Never forget, the world is yours."
- "Never trust nobody."